Why I’m Moving Back to Oregon to Build a Family Estate
There comes a point in life when you stop asking yourself what looks impressive and start asking what actually matters.
For me, that question has led me back to Oregon.
I’m 47, single, and at a stage of life where I’m thinking less about accumulating experiences and more about building something that can outlive me. I don’t want my greatest accomplishment to be a collection of possessions, photographs or stories. I want land, a home, productive gardens, meaningful work and, eventually, a family that has somewhere to put down roots.
That is the idea behind my plan to return to Oregon and build a family estate.
Why Oregon?
There is something about Oregon that makes the idea of slowing down and building particularly attractive to me. The Willamette Valley, especially the area between Corvallis and Eugene, offers a combination of agricultural land, small communities, natural beauty and access to larger towns and cities.
I’m not looking for complete isolation.
I want rural independence without being disconnected from civilization.
My vision includes acreage where a family could grow food, maintain a garden, develop small businesses, enjoy outdoor space and gradually become less dependent on the conventional urban lifestyle.
The estate doesn’t have to appear overnight.
I’d rather build it deliberately.
This isn’t just a real-estate project
The word “estate” can sound extravagant, but that’s not necessarily what I mean.
I’m thinking about a family homestead.
A place with enough land to create possibilities.
A house.
A garden.
Fruit trees.
A workshop.
Perhaps additional small structures for guests, family members or income-producing purposes.
A place where children could eventually grow up understanding where food comes from and what it means to contribute to something larger than themselves.
That’s the legacy I’m interested in.
This vision isn’t completely separate from marriage.
In fact, marriage is one of the reasons I’m thinking about it so seriously.
I’m interested in meeting a younger adult woman who genuinely wants marriage and family and who finds the idea of rural living exciting rather than restrictive.
She doesn’t have to know how to build a barn, raise chickens or operate farm equipment.
Neither of us has to have everything figured out.
What matters more is whether we share the same fundamental direction.
I’d rather build something with the right woman than inherit something that means nothing.
Starting over can be intentional
“Starting over” sometimes sounds like failure.
I don’t see it that way.
At 47, I have enough life experience to understand that life doesn’t always follow the timeline you imagined when you were 25.
Sometimes you have to make a new plan.
Mine involves Oregon.
It involves land.
It involves marriage.
And it involves creating a family environment based on cooperation, responsibility, affection and shared purpose.
I’m not looking for someone to simply move into a finished dream.
I’m interested in meeting someone who can look at an undeveloped vision and say:
“Let’s see what we can build together.”
That is the family estate I’m pursuing.
And perhaps the most important part of it won’t be the acreage at all.
It will be the people who eventually call it home.
Comments
Post a Comment